Thursday, September 5, 2013

hazy limits

I think I'm supposed to be upset by things that are “sexist.” Maybe it's because I don't get offended easily or maybe it's my perverse sense of humor or maybe it's just because I tend to be slightly disconnected from reality, but I usually don't get upset by things like a song. I don't get all the hoopla about "the song of the summer."  I watched a feminist parody of "Blurred Lines" (which I also found really funny) and realized that there are probably a lot of women who are for real offended by that song.  And it makes me lol.  (btw...I don't understand what people think is so misogynistic about the song. I’ve listened to it, read the lyrics, and watched the video; if anything, it’s a celebration of women…)  The rap & hippity-hop I like best tend to be the songs that are the most degrading and contain the most cursing because they are so ridiculous that I find it quite hilarious.

Regarding REAL issues of chauvinism/sexism/misogyny/etc., of course I don't think it is okay for women to be harassed or degraded (it's also not okay for men to be harassed or degraded). I don't think women should make less money for equal work and I don't think one gender is better than the other. I think as humans we all have something unique to offer in the game of life.  In general, men and women have different strengths that can complement each other nicely.

My views on being a woman, what I am capable of, and equality did not come from any form of entertainment. My values were taught by my parents and other family members. Those lessons were taught primarily by example, but also by the fact that when I was young and impressionable my entertainment, friends, and activities were all very closely monitored. I know now that parents can't be everywhere and see everything, but when I was growing up it sure felt like they could! As an adult, I know my value as a person because I was loved and that value is in no way diminished by any song, movie, book, or television show.


So I choose to be ENTERTAINED, not offended. If it has a good beat, I dance. If it has absurd dialogue, I laugh. If there's something I don't like, guess what I do...I turn it off. Don't expect pop stars and athletes to provide role models for your children; they exist for entertainment, not child-rearing. That's your job.  Be aware and involved and occasionally say "no." And if you are a grown-ass woman that is truly bothered by words of a song, do a little soul searching or see a therapist...do whatever it takes for you to learn your own worth and quit letting others determine it for you. I'm not going to let lyrics to a song or jokes have power over me. Just chill, people. Because I'm tired of dodging the piles of poop from your high horse. Stop judging and start laughing.

XOXO
~M

No comments:

Post a Comment