Friday, September 20, 2013

Julie Andrews vs. The Southern Star

Hello, my name is Melissa and I’m an introvert.  I know.  You’re totally surprised, aren't you?   

I’m probably a little (read: a lot) less social than the regular introvert because I am slightly (read: extremely) cray cray.  For all you extroverts: it’s not a bad thing, I promise.  When I have time that is mine (i.e. no plans, no bosses, no customers, no one else determines how it’s spent except me) and I choose to be alone it’s because being by myself is refreshing. 
image credit: someecards.com
For me, alone time is like the opening scene of The Sound of Music.  I’m Maria spinning on a mountain top with my lungs full of fresh air and lots of happy in my spirit.  I feel free and at peace.  There’s no pressure to perform…  I don’t have to carry on a conversation…  I don’t have to impress anyone with my great wit… No expectations…   I know you don’t actually have any great expectations of time with me, but there’s still an internal need to be what I think others expect. 
image credit: amazon.com
Social experiences are like that ship ride at Carowinds that flips upside down.  (For those who didn't grow up in NC going to Carowinds your whole life, here's a description from carowinds.com: Southern Star-A giant looping Viking ship that swings backward and forward, then turns a series of two complete loops, suspending riders upside down 80 feet in the air. Riders experience sudden speed changes and controlled freefall as the ship swings through its 360-degree cycle).  Yep, it’s like that.  I simultaneously feel exhilarated and queasy.  At first it’s cool, just swinging back and forth. Weeeeeee, this is fun!  Then it goes higher and starts hanging in the air, and it’s kind of awkward.  When it’s all said and done, it was a great experience, super fun, and I’m really glad I did it.  But I get off the ride and my knees are wobbly, I totally feel like I might hurl, and I’m going to need a while to recover before I can go on the next ride.

image credit: carowinds.com
So, my loves, I truly enjoy your company and adore the time we spend together, but I require a little more recovery time than the average bear.  I am really grateful for those who are incredibly patient with my quirks and allow me the hermit time I need.  And for that allowance, I promise to be extra charming and witty when I grace you with my presence.      

XOXO
~M
image credit: hyperboleandahalf.blogspot.com

1 comment: